Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Day


I was sitting at the computer reviewing some past blogs and trying to decide if I should post again today. I glanced at my Timex Ironman watch to check the date...and low and behold, it said it was March 1st. Apparently, my watch doesn't recognize leap years. That means every four years I'll have to stop and change the date. What a hassle.

So, a great deal has happened in the past week. The Alexandria Town Talk ran a spectacular story on the race and my training. We've seen about a $200 dollar increase in our fundraising because of this story. I was contacted recently by one of our sponsors who notified me that our shirts are finally in! That's a small deal, really, but I'm very excited about it. Also, yesterday Pat Fellows introduced me to a wonderful lady, Lisa Evans. Lisa is a sales rep for Brooks who has offered to hook us up with everything from shoes to apparel...just about anything that we want. I'm so glad that she is on board with, and very enthusiastic, about what I'm doing. Shoes, gear, shirts, newspaper stories...these are all relatively small things to deal with. Making sure I'm properly trained is no big deal, but add in all the things that come along with being a race director, no matter how small, and it becomes overwhelming in a heartbeat.

Speaking of training, since the River City Classic in Natchez I've had a tough time with running. Mostly it can be chalked up to exhaustion, but shinsplints are bothering me too. Yesterday I logged just under four hours and today I am shooting for two hours and an intense weight workout. I've also scheduled another massage for later tonight.

Happy running!