Thursday, February 7, 2008

Massage Therapy

This week has been a lesson in discipline and determination. I've been fighting shinsplints in my right leg that have been excruciating. I've woken up in the morning and cringed at the thought of just moving because I knew that that alone would be killer. I've been icing and massaging it daily as well as loading up on asprin, but have continued to struggle. Well, the splints seem to have finally passed. I can still feel it, but it isn't nearly the pain it was last week. It makes me glad that I continued to push through the pain and trained this whole week. I've had two 3-hour runs and plan on getting in another one tomorrow.

Also, and this may be a shock for those of you who know me well, but tomorrow afternoon I have an appointment to get a massage. Unless maybe it's a girl that I like, I don't really want anybody touching me. So getting a massage is going to be weird, but I hope it will rejuvenate my exhausted legs.

Training this week has been two 3-hour runs with one planned for tomorrow. There have also been two 2-hour runs, a handful of 1-hour runs (morning runs mostly), and 30 minutes of fartleks today coupled with a 1 1/2-hour run. Our next trial is looming right around the corner on February 17th and I'm planning on a significant rest period before that date. Note I said "rest period" and not "off period." I will be doing some kind of cross-training for about five days prior to that date. I'm admitedly nervous about this run. The last trial was six hours, but I felt going into it that even if I wasn't in shape that I would be able to gut it out. This upcoming trial, however, will not tolerate any amount of "gutting it out." This trial will find me out.

Been rocking to Jane's Addiction and also the drumline's from a few college bands. The drumline's are crazy motivating. Try it out.

No comments: