Sunday, February 24, 2008

Post 45

After our first trial on MLK day, I learned really quickly that I wasn't giving myself enough time to recoup. So, this whole week has been an application of what I endured after our first trial. I cut all activities out of my schedule until late Thursday. Monday evening I went for a long easy walk through campus to the library to push the lactic acid through my legs, but that's all.

Again, I was overwhelmed at how well my body bounced back. There was the expected soreness and inability to ascend stairs with any ease...but no bodily injuries of note. My shinsplints did reappear, but aren't nearly as intense as in the past. Maybe the most debilitating after effect has been pure exhaustion. For days you are beyond fatigued. I would get up and go to work, get home about four and then sleep till seven the next morning. I was like this for at least three days, and even now I can tell my body is still drained.

So this week I begin amping up the hours. My longest runs will be close to four hours, but most will be between two and three. Yesterday I ran in the the River City Classic 10k in Natchez, MS. This race has for years been a thorn in my side. I historically never do well here, but always love running it. I took the lead early in the race around the two-mile mark and led the entire race. That is until about 200 meters. Then, David Hefley, an old friend and running arch nemesis, took the lead from me and won by a little over ten seconds. My time was 37:52...not impressive, but again, all I've been doing is distance work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just read the article on your fundraising attempt in the Town Talk.

Good luck to you. 100 miles in one day would certainly be an astounding accomplishment.

Are you doing anything in particular to handle the 100 mile pounding on asphalt??

When running 90-110 miles/week in college, I always tried to do half on the grass or dirt trail to lessen the hard surface wear & tear.