Friday, December 14, 2007

Low Impact Theory

Big Dave and I were talking and came up with a theory... a Low Impact Theory. What it says is that, relatively speaking, the last 50 miles of the run will be more difficult than the first 50. We know that I am in shape, we know that I've been running long enough that I have sufficient muscle memory, and we know that I will have enough mental motivation (provided by me and others) to complete the run. However, I'm not use to being absolutely fatigued when running. So what Dave and I have conjured up is a training method where we completely void my body of as much energy as possible while keeping the physical trauma at a minimum. So a typical day where we utilize this theory would include several hours on the bike, followed by a swimming session, and maybe then an intense, but slow, workout with free-weights. After all of this, then we get out and run for 3-6 hours. The idea, again, is to simulate how I'll feel at mile 50 and then start the running.

This theory is completely new to us, so suggestions are welcome. Really, regardless of how much we pool our genius, we're still amateurs at this and every move we make is educated guess work, at best.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, it's a good idea. Marathoners used to wish they could start training at mile 18--bonk time. But, although you will be tired, your legs will still be relatively fresh for running. There's just no way to simulate the fatigue/pain one can feel after mile 50. The best approach that I've heard is to run back to back long runs, like on a weekend. Go out for a couple of 25-30 milers. But not too often...