Saturday, December 1, 2007

DNF


I had a tough weekend in BR. Friday night was the Reindeer Run 5k and then Saturday morning was the Baton Rouge Beach Marathon. I should have known better than to try and do both. I also should have known to rest more than I did this week (I kept at least 10 miles/day up till Thursday). But, live and learn. Big Dave made an interesting comment, "Your brain is telling your body to go harder than its capable." True story. In short, I did ok Friday night at the 5k and ran about a 17:50 (I think that's right, they messed up the course and we all ran longer than was intended). Saturday morning was a different story. I was great up till about mile 8 when my left ankle started killing me. I decided to DNF rather than hurt it more and ran the half-marathon in about 1:23. I think it was just a minor sprain or I stepped on it funny; regardless, ice and r&r are on the schedule for a few days.

On the upside, we got tons of administrative work taken care of for the ultra. In addition to doing a TV interview for Tiger TV (thanks Abby), Brian, Jill, Big Dave and I met with Pat Fellows to discuss how to get sponsors and how to handle multimedia in spreading the word. We may also be coming into some free goodies, things like shoes and gels. Anything will help, really, and shoes are a huge plus. Anywho, the ever-accommodating Pat Fellows came through and is hooking us up with some templates to send out to businesses. Hopefully this will "get us in the black" fairly quickly.

I had a realization this week. I've always known this was bigger than me, that helping beat cancer was the real feat. However, all the hype has kind of been around me since I'm the one getting out doing this arguably ridiculous physical feat. Doing the interview today and having to talk about why I'm actually doing it brought me back to a my humble senses. I hope this stays with me through the rest of training leading up to the ultra. I'm just a vessel, those with cancer are the real story.

1 comment:

ladyandthejudge said...

What a stride! Good luck on The Trace. We are with you all the way.